Saturday, January 21, 2012

Up on the Roof......

Well that's the name of that great song The Drifter's released in 1962. I was not quite a year old, but I still remember that song growing up.  Lately though, Trisha and I have been playing our own version of that great song, but ours would be titled, Up in the Attic.  It all started a few days before Christmas break.  I had a guy come by to give me an estimate to install a new roof.  In the course of looking things over, we had to go up in the attic.  Our attic is actually an  unfinished second story with close to 1100 square feet of usable space.  Let me tell you, it was embarrassing how junkie, trashy, cluttered, and all around messy it was.  So the day after Christmas, Trisha and I started the great attic clean out.  Now we have hauled unknown quantities of clothes to Goodwill, unbelievable amounts of paper to recycling, bag after bag of trash to the curb for the town to pick up, and I think I can safely say we are at least 80% done.  Whew....what a job this has been.  


So today being a dreary, rainy, generally yucky day here in North Carolina, I thought I would take a few pictures.  Now I didn't take any pictures of all the trash, nor did I take any before pictures.  I just don't want anyone to see how bad it really was up there.  But here are a few after pictures to show our progress.  
This is the view out the back window of the attic.  You can see what  a dreary day this is.  I did work up in the attic about an hour today before taking a few pictures.  
This is our "suitcase" collection.  Now my dad was career military, so I am sure that is where I got my love of travel from.  Here you see our suitcases all neatly stacked and waiting for the next big adventure.  They were NOT like this that fateful day back in December 2011.  They were all over the attic.  I wonder how that happened??
Since this is a blog, and you are most likely using some sort of computer and the internet to read this blog, I took a picture of the old computers, monitor, scanner, and printer waiting to find a new home in the recycle bins at Best Buy.  Yes, the CPU on the bottom does have a 5 1/4" floppy drive.  HAHA.
This is a picture of the back half of the attic, after being all cleaned up. When we started, you couldn't even see the floor it was so cluttered. Now at least I think it looks much better.


I didn't find any real "hidden treasures" in our attic.  But I did find lots of things that brought back memories of days past.  I took a picture of two of these.
 Any of you who happened to be following College Basketball in 1983 you will remember this. I was a Junior at NC State.  What a great time.
I grew up in Scouting.  I was a Cub Scout, Webelos Scout, Boy Scout, and later an adult Boy Scout leader.  I loved going on camporees, summer camp, trips to the mountains to Lutheridge, just anywhere that old 50's model retired school bus we had would take us.  I still support the Scouting movement today, because I think it offers many great opportunities for our youth. I also have quite a few friends I run into from time to time from my days in Scouting. I have a HUGE patch collection. The picture above is just a few. (And yes I am an Eagle Scout.) 
And while this wasn't in the attic, here's a picture of my patch jacket with a few more of my Boy Scout patches.  So no, while I didn't find any hidden money or gold in our attic, I did find many things I place a high value on.  I hope you enjoyed today's post.  I also hope you were humming "Up on a Roof" by The Drifters while you were reading it! HAHA  Until next time...Stay safe out there...-R,T,and J.

No comments:

Post a Comment