Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sway Control Install, Part I ........

As I told you in the last post, I decided to add some sway control to the hitch set-up on the pod.  I have been reading quite a bit about it on the "Nation", and decided it was time to add this to our set-up.  I've never actually had a sway event,  but I have noticed when towing on wet roads I can sense a little "looseness" in the pod's tracking behind the truck.  So as I showed you before, this is what we got at Camping World.  

New sway controls and accessories.

The first step was to take the old hitch ball off of the draw-bar. I figured I could do it with just my big adjustable wrench.

Big adjustable wrench, and old hitch-ball.

Well of course I was wrong, and the whole process needed a little lubrication and some "gentle" persuasion. 

The gentle persuasion I needed!

I wound-up using the above tools and a pair of vice-grips, the old hitch ball came right off.  Next was to install the adapter plate and new hitch ball and coupler for the sway bar.  This is when I ran into a little problem.  My old draw-bar wasn't made by Reese.  I don't know who it was made by, I just know this is the third truck I've used it on.

New adapter plate doesn't fit old draw-bar.

So a quick trip to my down-the-street, Advance Store, and I got just what I need, stickers and all.

New draw bar with stickers.

Here's the new draw-bar, all destickered, with the adapter plate and new hitch-balls attached.  

Completed Part I.

Finally, here are the tools I used in Part I of this install.

Tools used for Part I.

This wraps up Part I of the sway control installation.  Check back in a few days for Part II.  Until then, stay safe out there...-R,T,&J.

No comments:

Post a Comment