Saturday, June 25, 2016

Pod's New Floor.....

Happy Saturday afternoon everyone!  It's Pod here today and I'm so excited and happy at the same time.   So just sit right down and let me tell you all about it.

As y'all may or may not know, I came to live with my peeps in December of 2009.  That means I'm in my seventh camping season with the Mr. and Mrs.  They average camping about 50 nights a year, so if you do the math, you'll figure out I'm on the road a lot. 

Over the years, I've developed a little problem.  I have a couple of soft spots in my floor.  Now Rob (and the factory guys at Goshen) have crawled underneath me to inspect my underside, only to find nothing wrong.  But I have to tell you, all their poking and prodding did tickle a little.  HAHA

So over the past season or two, Rob has been thinking about possible solutions to my problem.  These are what he came up with:

1.  Trade me in on a new camper of some sort...
2.  Take me back to the factory, have me taken apart, a new floor installed, then put me back together.
3.  Put something over my existing floor to stop the soft
spots from getting worse. 

I'm glad to say he pretty quickly ruled out options #1 and #2.  So was left with option #3.  At the ERU the week before last, he looked at another Pod named PepperPod to see what solution the owners had come up with for the same exact problem.  

What they had done was to overlay on the existing floor, an interlocking floating floor.  It looked really good, so that's exactly what Rob decided to do to me.  Thanks Rosemary and Rick for the tour and the ideas.

So last evening, the Mr. and Mrs. loaded up in Levi and off to Lowes they went.  They bought two boxes of flooring, and a couple of tools to help with the install.  (More about these tools a little later.)

Early this morning about 6:30, here came Rob and the work began.  Now I know he meant to take pictures along the way, cause I saw him bring his camera. But after taking down my cabinet doors, threshold plate and removing the factory moulding strips, he was measuring, measuring again, and up to his elbows in fractions and math.

After the job was done, he did take a few pictures for me to share with you.

Here's a couple pictures before he installed the last of the quarter-round moulding.  When he got to this point, it was lunchtime, so he stopped, cleaned everything up, took a shower, ate lunch, then went back to Lowes to get the moulding.



And here's a picture of after he had installed the final few pieces of quarter-round moulding.  If you look closely, you can see he also used the factory moulding wherever possible for a more "factory" look.  


Now about the tools I mentioned above.  Rob always says he'd rather have the right tool for the job instead of a whole tool box full of the wrong ones.  So when he bought the flooring, he bought these two speciality tools to help put the flooring down.



The first picture is of a hammer block, to help tap the running joints together and not damage them.  The second picture is a pull bar to help tap the butt seams together without damage to the flooring.

These two tools worked great, and Rob said they were very much worth the $17 bucks he paid for them.  

Well that's about all for today.  I just want to you to know I'm tickled with my new floor.  I'm really loving the new look and there's even talk of finding me some new rugs.  We'll just have to see about that.  Hehe. So....

Until next time, stay safe out there.....-Pod 

2 comments:

  1. But.. Did it firm up the floor feel???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it helped the floor softness a lot.

      Delete